Facebook Applications for Your Non-Profit Page

Lori Halley 23 June 2008 49 comments

So you've signed up your nonprofit group for a Facebook Page -- now what? It can be challenging to know what to put on your Page to make the best use of the space, especially if you're setting out to build a new page from scratch. And if you're new to Facebook, it may seem there's a bewildering array of applications to choose from.

Michelle Bake, who runs Make Poverty History Etobicoke (a community chapter in support of Canada's nationwide anti-poverty campaign), shares some of the thinking that went into building her organization's Facebook Page:

First off, I chose a Facebook Fan Page over a Group for my local Make Poverty History group because the Fan Pages are more engaging, and the updates are non-intrusive like the Group emails that would flood my FB Inbox. I like my Inbox to be from friends not filled with badly written, all caps (people still do that?) spam. I've left many a group because of that.

FB Fan Pages have enormous potential that you can tailor to your specific NP. After comparing some good vs bad ones I knew that I wanted my group's page to be clean and the messaging to be clear and consistent.

facebook non-profit page screenshot

Instead of these long, drawn out and very text heavy explanations/intros, I used formatting and spacing to express the MPH platform. After all, sometimes if the brand is strong you don't need to go into extensive background info.

When you first sign up your organization for a Page, Facebook makes some of the content choices for you, based on the category of Page you set up.

Businesses will get one set of information categories and applications, for example, while artists and bands see a different set of default options.

For nonprofits, Facebook's default selection of topics and applications does give a useful place to start, although some of the wording ("company overview," for example) sounds rather commercial for a nonprofit:

• Profile Picture (the main picture that will represent your group on Facebook)
  • Basic info (the year your organization was founded)
  • Detailed Information (website address, company overview, mission, and products)

Fans of your Page are shown by default, as is the Mini-Feed that reports your activities related to the Page such as adding new photographs or applications.

Most of the information-sharing and interactive applications you're likely to want or need are installed by default on non-profit Pages, too. These include:

• Discussion Boards
  • Events
  • Notes
  • Photos
  • Video
  • Wall

You do have the option to install other applications if you like. Most commonly suggested applications, as of this writing, are the 'My Merch Store' and 'Causes':

• My Merch Store lets you create products for sale and post them to your Page -- T-shirts, posters, cards, stamps, mugs, hats, and so on, to help promote your cause or raise funds for your group.
  • Causes on Facebook lets you create a cause, recruit your friends into that cause, keep everybody in the cause up-to-speed on related issues and media, and, "most importantly, raise money directly through the cause for any U.S. registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit or Canadian registered charity.

For her group's Page, Michelle substituted the YouTube Box application for the somewhat limited Facebook Video application, and placed it high up in her righthand sidebar:

My main goal of the page was to engage people, to stay for a while and hopefully to get involved. Since most people are visual adding the YouTube box app was a no-brainer. My tip here is to change the title of the video when you upload to your page so that it's a short, concise phrase so it doesn't loop to a second line. Something that evokes the message of the video and gets people to click on it. Placement is also important -- I've put mine above the cutline because as we all know not everyone scrolls down.

Because the Page is intended to complement the Make History Etobicoke blog, RSS Feed was added to display the blog's 5 most recent posts.

There are a number of popular feed-serving applications for Facebook, but "what's nice about this app is that when you click on the post link it takes you straight to the blog page instead of forcing you to download another app (like some do)," Michelle says. As well, the clean and simple display box will not compete for reader attention with the graphics or other features of your Page.

Posted Items is undoubtedly one of the most widely adopted applications, familiar to almost any Facebook user. "It's a favourite of mine," says Michelle, "because you can post basically anything related to your group from most any source i.e. FB event, news article, external video, etc. It also allows for a comment so that you can highlight why it is an important piece of news."

I like this application, too, and especially for nonprofits -- it meets head-on one of the criticisms of Facebook (that it is largely an insular social site) by creating meaningful links with the broader Internet community.

The one feature that Michelle Bake says she'd like to be able to add to her nonprofit's Page is Music in the form of a profile song that would reflect her nonprofit much as the profile picture helps to set the tone. That's one example of category-specific options for Facebook Pages, however, she notes: For legal reasons, Facebook allows the direct upload of music files only by musicians themselves, or by their official representatives.

What about you? Which features or apps make your "wish list" for a Facebook Page for your nonprofit group?

Want to learn more about how your non-profit organization can make the most of social media on a small budget? Get updates from the Wild Apricot non-profit technology blog by RSS feed or by email, free!

Published Monday, 23 June 2008 at 1:35 PM

Comments

• Wild Apricot Blog said:

Thursday, 26 June 2008 at 11:44 AM

New features and other enhancements have been added to Facebook since Wild Apricot's Beginner's Guide

• Patrick Nugent said:

Monday, 14 July 2008 at 10:28 AM

Thank you very much for your information. I just setup a non-profit page, but not group, for our organization. Having searched throughout FB and discovered many people who would be interested in our organization, but may not know about our organization, the question comes to my mind: how do I reach these people? Thanks, in advance.

Tuesday, 15 July 2008 at 8:46 AM

Patrick, getting attention to any web page is always the challenge, isn't it? Fortunately, Fb Pages are available to search engines and to people who are not yet Facebook members, so that gives you a good starting point: you can simply send the Page's web address to people you know, add it to your email and forum signatures, put it out on any other social-networking or microblogging sites you may use (e.g. Twitter, Plurk, etc.), and in general distribute the URL as you would for any web page you'd like to share.

Ask your Facebook Friends and supporters to become a 'fan' of your page, and it's link will be shown on their Fb personal profile pages, where their Friends can in turn see it.

Direct contact with Facebook members whom you don't already know is a bit more difficult - the service is set up that way to protect members from spam.

My suggestion would be to become a member of the Facebook Groups where you are most likely to find people interested in your nonprofit. You can (in moderation) post links in most Groups (this is at the discretion of the Admin);  more useful in terms of making contacts and drawing people to your Page would be to become active in the discussions on those related Groups. It is human nature to be curious about each other, and follow links to find out more - your own personal profile page can be a terrific place to showcase your nonprofit Page to "Friends of Friends," for example.

This business of social interaction is indeed complicated, isn't it? -- online or in real life! Hope this helps to get you started.

• Ben Nolte said:

Thursday, 31 July 2008 at 1:44 PM

This is great information.  Thank you for your insight.  I'll try out facebook and see how it goes.

Ben Nolte

AdventureGiving.org

Friday, 01 August 2008 at 5:20 AM

Ben, I hope you'll keep us posted on your Facebook experience, and share what you learn along the way!

• Matthew Souther said:

Thursday, 07 August 2008 at 2:22 PM

Hi Rebecca,

What a helpful entry this was!  A great entry point for us into Facebook Pages, and so timely.

We at Net Impact have been having a little trouble with our Facebook page, though: we can add applications, but they don't show up on the page.  If you visit our page (see the URL above), you'll see on the mini-feed that we added Causes and Youtube Box, but no Causes or Youtube Box show up on the page!  If you are able, it would be wonderful if you could offer some advice on how to get past this.

Thank you so much!

Matthew Souther

Membership / Executive Assistant

Net Impact

www.netimpact.org

Thursday, 07 August 2008 at 3:20 PM

Well, Matthew, that was complicated! But I think I've figured it out... now let me just see if I can recreate the steps.

First thing, I added YouTube Box to my test Page, and got the same results that you did: a note that said it had been added, but nothing more. There didn't seem to be a way to add videos, without which there was no reason for the app to display on the page. I went clicking around a bit, and every time I hit something that looked promising, the YouTube Box app asked me to give it permission to access my own profile information. When I did allow access, things got much easier from that point on!

Go to the edit screen for your Page, where it lists your information and applications. Scroll down to find YouTube Box and click on Edit. You'll find yourself on a YouTube Box screen that you *might* have come across before, if you clicked around searching the way I did! The URL will be something like http://apps.new.facebook.com/youtubebox/pages/?fb_page_id=###### where ###### is the ID number for your Page. In the upper left hand corner, you should see the name of your organization's Page.

And if you get to that point, from here on it should all be clear sailing. Search for a YouTube video that interests you, click on its title, and you'll be viewing it through the application, not on the actual YouTube site. There's a button that says "Add to Page" -- and if you click it, that's what happens.

When I did that, the YouTube Box suddenly appeared on my test Page with the selected video in it. And if I go back to the YouTube Box - Edit screen that I passed through earlier, I see it now shows "Videos on this Page" and a thumbnail of the one I just added.

Clear as mud? :)

One of the strengths *and* weaknesses of Facebook is the wealth of applications: lots of choice there, but lots of variables in how they operate and, in general, because so many are made by 3rd-party developers rather than by Facebook, there tends to be very little tech support.

I haven't yet tried this with Causes application, but I wonder if you're having troubles there, too, for the same apparent reason? Try giving it access to your personal Profile (I'm assuming that you're the Admin for your Page, here?) and see where that gets you...

And if you get a chance, Matthew, it would be great if you'd stop back here and let us know how you make out?

• Matthew Souther said:

Friday, 08 August 2008 at 9:03 AM

Success!

Your advice definitely did the trick, Rebecca, and our page is looking much more exciting now with videos from YouTube.

Many thanks for your help and for your excellent blog!

Matthew

• Angelique said:

Saturday, 09 August 2008 at 1:23 PM

Thank you, thank you. I was about to give up on applications but your YouTube advice worked out well.

Monday, 11 August 2008 at 1:38 AM

Matthew and Angelique, glad to hear you've got your videos up and running!

• Andrea said:

Wednesday, 20 August 2008 at 3:14 AM

What I don't understand are two small thoughs:

1. Why is not possible to add certain applications?

2. Why Facebook doesn't provide a directory of page's applications?

1. I've just created a non-profit page for a group of Italian people living in Netherlands and one of our recent activity is to start a metting to know each other in person. I can use events (well, I'm actually using it), but I would like to try at least a couple of application that improve the event planning experience. One of these application doesn't work at all on pages (at least, I think). The other one is not for my kind (no-profit) of page.

2. Trying to find a specific application using keywords and/or categories, helps a lot, but then, you should check:

a) if the application is "page-ready"

b) if the application is for "your-page-ready"

Well, another small though: I really don't like the policy of facebook for page advertising. I mean, it's ok to me, but that is the reason why we can't invite people like we do on groups or events. I know the 2 workarounds, but I don't like them.

Sorry for my English :)

Wednesday, 20 August 2008 at 12:16 PM

Andrea, there are a couple of things going on there with the applications, I believe.

For one, many of the applications that are designed for Facebook are made by 3rd-party developers - they are not made by Facebook. (By the way, some applications that are a real security risk for users, so it is wise to know what applications you are allowing to have access to your data!)

The main difference is between a personal Profile page and a nonprofit (or business) Page: they look very much the same, but Facebook treats them very differently. Applications that are allowed on the Profile may not be allowed on a Page. And to add another complication, there are different categories of business Pages; and its seems as if not all applications are allowed on every kind of Page.

It might be that security is one reason why Facebook sets limits on what applications can be used on different parts of the site - but I'm just guessing about that. Also, it could be a question of resource use (drain on servers) or any one of many other reasons... For example, they seem to indicate that media upload apps are restricted in use because of intellectual property rights issues...

Only Facebook knows for sure what lies behind the way their site is designed and operates!

As for their advertising policy and workarounds - sorry, but I'm not sure what that part of your comment refers to: could you clarify that a bit?

• Andrea said:

Wednesday, 20 August 2008 at 1:09 PM

Rebecca, thank you for your clarifications.

I understand and agree your guesses, but honestly, I don't see how an "event planning" application (for instance) should enabled to some specific business pages and disabled for a non profit organization's page. I don't really see any valid reason for that.

About the fact that some applications could violate the privacy, the risk would be the same for any kind of page.

About the adverticing policy comment, my guess (that is somehow not only mine, since I've seen some mentions around few forums and blogs) is that the invitation feature we can see on groups and events, is not enable on Pages, because would "lower" the power of the advertising feature Facebook provides with fees.

If people would be able to invite all their friends to be fans of their pages, and if these friends would be able to do the same, the "power" of an advertising campaign would be devalued, don't you think?

So, the only ways, so far, to invite people (the ones I know at least) are:

1. A dummy event, with a proper description and posted item that link to the page.

2. The "share +" button to share with friends and/or on our profile, a link to the page.

The first way is the cleanest one, but force people to create an event that doesn't really exists.

The second way is an high spam/chain risk: I share with all my friends, all my friends share to all their friend (including me then).

Wednesday, 20 August 2008 at 4:06 PM

Thanks for filling in the details, Andrea. Yes, agreed - there's a lot about the way Fb functions that is difficult to understand from the user's viewpoint!

p.s. You no doubt know that Facebook does have a directory of applications -- http://www.facebook.com/apps/ -- but it's hard to know what apps are available for use on Pages... But these paragraphs from the Facebook help files might be useful information:

Facebook Pages come pre-installed with custom functionality for each Page category. These are the applications and information fields Facebook believes will be most relevant to the category you have selected when creating your Page. For instance, a music Page comes pre-installed with a music player, video player, discography, reviews, tour dates, and a discussion board.

and

We encourage Page Admins to find and add the applications to their Page that will make their Page most useful and successful. To view the available applications for Pages in the Product Directory, please click on "Edit Page" and then on "Browse More" at the bottom of the Page next to "More Applications." From here, you'll be search for a specific application or browse different categories. Once you find an application you'd like to add to your Page, simply click on the application name and then on the "Add Application" button.

Hope that's a bit of help to you - and to others who may be in the same position.

• Justin said:

Friday, 29 August 2008 at 12:34 PM

Facebook (the new version) has some great tools. The FB functions can be a bit confusing as Andrea noted. As well, with the apps the you really have to research them, know who its made by, know if theres any security bugs, know if you should allow it access to your data, etc. However besides some small things, facebook whether it be FB or Group is a great tool and should be considered for every org. ( considered doesn't mean implemented :) )

Justin

- Check Us Out -

koinoniasolutions.com
  • Grant said:

Thursday, 04 September 2008 at 7:02 AM

Hello there,

Was wondering if you know of a facebook app or somesuch that would let me upload all my info for my NGO/NPO(about 15 pages of text and graphics etc) to my facebook page.

Any help would be great.

• Leo said:

Thursday, 20 November 2008 at 10:37 AM

We have a facebook page for our organization and I am one of the administrators. I would like to Share things I find on the web (say a review of an ensemble we are going to present). But when I share, I have to personally sign in to facebook and the item is shared with me, not our organization. Any way around this?

Saturday, 22 November 2008 at 5:52 PM

Leo, let me just make sure we're talking about the same issue ...

You find something on the Internet and want to use the Share This On Facebook bookmarklet (or click a Facebook button if one is provided on the originating website) to post a link to your organization's Page - but the only option it gives you is to post the link to your personal Profile page instead.

Is that the problem?

If so, you're in luck -- because I just now have found the solution (and boy, they don't make all this very intuitive, do they?!) You'll need to add the Posted application http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=2309869772 to your Facebook Page. Once you've done that, you can choose whether to allow your fans to post items too, or restrict it to Admin only. Then, from the Posted Items box on your Page, you can click "Post an Item" to go to the page where you can add a link or grab the bookmarklet to add links to that Page.

Hope that's clear. It should make more sense as you start to walk through it-- give it a shot, anyway!

Saturday, 22 November 2008 at 6:00 PM

p.s. I haven't yet found a way to make the bookmarklet able to distinguish between Profile and Page - although, fortunately, posting a link directly from your Page does seem to work just fine, just the way it does for the personal Profile page. If anyone has insights into getting the handy toolbar button on board for Facebook Pages, too, I'd love to hear about it!

• Leo said:

Monday, 24 November 2008 at 10:42 AM

Thanks! That seems to work.

Tuesday, 25 November 2008 at 6:17 PM

Leo, you're welcome. Glad to hear it worked for you.

• Kris said:

Monday, 08 December 2008 at 10:02 AM

Rebecca-

You said:

"Fortunately, Fb Pages are available to search engines and to people who are not yet Facebook members, so that gives you a good starting point: you can simply send the Page's web address to people you know, add it to your email and forum signatures, put it out on any other social-networking or microblogging sites you may use (e.g. Twitter, Plurk, etc.), and in general distribute the URL as you would for any web page you'd like to share."

But, I'm confused. I added my non-profit's Facebook page url to my signature, but unless I'm logged on, I can't see it. So, if someone doesn't have a Facebook profile, they can't look at our page. That's contrary to what you say above. Please explain.

Thanks,

Kris

Monday, 08 December 2008 at 10:38 AM

Kris, what's the URL for your Page? Sounds like something isn't quite right there...

Because, yes, Facebook Pages (Pages, not the personal Profiles) are indeed able to be shared with non-users of Facebook. For example, here http://www.facebook.com/pages/Greenpeace-International/7297163299 is the Facebook page for Greenpeace International: can you see this one without being logged into Facebook?

A couple of things come to mind that might block someone from seeing a Facebook Page without logging in:

1. they may be trying to view it from behind a firewall, as an increasing number of schools, businesses, and government agencies do for security reasons;

2. theey may have security settings on their computer that prevents it from accessing Facebooks pages;

3. a "page not found" message for the not-logged-in version may be stuck in cache; or

4. you may have  privacy settings on your Page that are keeping the doors closed to everyone.

Have you checked whether your Page is indexed by search engines? (Try a Google search on "site:http://www.facebook.com/pages" and the name of your organization as it appears on the Facebook Page.)

I'm sure you're not the only one with this question, so hope you'll drop a link to your page and let us know what you figure out?

Monday, 08 December 2008 at 10:52 AM

Kris, is this your page?

If so, I can see it with no problem, not logged in.  Maybe check that you've got the URL all spelled correctly in your signature?

• Kris said:

Monday, 15 December 2008 at 9:08 AM

yes--that's it. I was able to get there, too. And it shows up in Yahoo's search engine. I guess I'm all set!

Thanks!

Wednesday, 17 December 2008 at 4:20 AM

Great, Kris - glad it's working as it should!

• Susan Gertz said:

Thursday, 22 January 2009 at 7:11 AM

I would like to create a Facebook page for the non-profit where I'm employed. But, I'm confused. Does the creation of such a page have to be accessed from my personal Facebook account? If so, what if I leave the organization? I'd like the Facebook account to be more generic.

Thanks for any help!

Wednesday, 28 January 2009 at 3:30 PM

Yes, that's exactly it, Susan: an individual has to be "admin" and set up the Page for the organization.

Facebook was originally intended to be a social network for individuals, and Pages were added later, as Facebook explained it, in response to their discovery that people were attempting to use Facebook in ways other than had been intended. There is no way around this at present, and there are no signs of this changing anytime soon.

• CJ said:

Sunday, 08 February 2009 at 5:04 AM

Great information, and current - thanks. I have bookmarked this site. I tried to set up a FB page for a non-profit group and selected the category of "Club" only to later discover that "Club" was short for nightclub. I have not been able to figure out how to change the category setting.

The category options seem limited, are they important? I deactivated the account with the intention of setting it up again under a different category, but not sure if the name is now in limbo.

What category is appropriate for a non-profit competitive sports group?

Also, another *nearly* non-profit wants a FB page - should the page name match the business URL?  They are thinking about expanding and may change their web address, is it only possible to have a single page account for a business?

Both of these organizations are for teens and tweens so controlling content is important.  I read your solution for being able to share content from other pages, but if you open "Posted Items" to fans, is this opening the opportunity for abuse? We considered a YouTube Channel but shied (sp?) because the page offered links to videos that were "related" but could be inappropriate (also search box to other videos). We would love to be able to post videos or links to videos of fans, but be able to have some control.

This is hour 3 of my research and your site has been the best.  Thanks for offering such good info.

• CJ said:

Sunday, 08 February 2009 at 6:34 AM

Since a FB page has to be associated with a personal account, can the personal account a page is associated with be changed/re-assigned? If a volunteer sets up a FB page for an organization and then leaves, can the page admin be transferred to another FB user/profile account (and keep all of the customizations/fans, etc.)?

If the chief person associated with the organization sets up the page under their personal profile, can they share limited access with a worker bee/volunteer for purposes of setting up a page, without giving away all personal info and friends personal info to the volunteer?

Can access be revoked? Passwords changed? to prohibit access to personal profile and NP page (by the organization's chief person so that volunteer's who leave will also give up access?)

Thanks so much - am trying to get up-to-speed quickly.

Chris

Sunday, 08 February 2009 at 7:59 AM

CJ / Chris, sorry, no - there's no way to change your Page category at present. Someone else asked the question recently in the comments on How to Set Up a Non-Profit Facebook Page so I'd guess this happens quite often. The only way to change categories is to delete your Page and start over in a different category.

Yes, categories are limited and inconvenient. :)

And yes, categories are important. To begin with, which category you pick will affect the Page default information. Also, people do browse the category listings for topics of interest, and may miss your Page if it's not appropriately categorizeds. It's also quite probable that search engines take the category into account; although the category name itself does not appear in your Page URL, there's be the matter of incoming links from other parts of Facebook that might count for something there.

Browse the Facebook Page categories that look most promising to you, and see what kind of company you'd be keeping. And if you know of any similar organizations with a Facebook Page, check out how they have chosen to be listed.

You also asked about whether a "single page account for a business" was allowed, and whether the Page name should match the business URL. I'm not sure I understand the first part, being more familiar with non-profits' use of Facebook: it's usually best to contact Facebook support directly with any questions that touch on Terms of Service. As for the Page name question - normally one would use the organization's name for its Page. If you're considering anything else, you should be aware that Facebook does not allow "fake" Pages - the Page has got to be for a "real entity." Depending on your particular circumstances, I'd be inclined to contact Facebook and get clearance for the alternate name, just to avoid any potential problems down the road.

As for controlling the content that minors will be exposed to on Facebook, you can set an age limit for who can access your Facebook Page but your options are frankly limited for controlling who sees what kind of material once you open up the space up to your users. On a blogging platform, in contrast, you can usually choose to moderate comments and only allow them to appear once they've been approved - but moderation/approval of user content is just not possible on Facebook. What you can do is decide which applications to include on your Page, and which users are allowed to post content to those applications. And if someone makes an inappropriate post to your Page, you can block them from posting there in future and/or report the user to Facebook for review and possible banning.

Sunday, 08 February 2009 at 8:20 AM

It's hard to get up to speed quickly with Facebook - but a number of your administration-type questions are covered in the FAQ here:

See also: Facebook Profiles and Pages and Groups, oh my!

About 1/3 of the way down the page:

"What if the individual who sets up your Page or Group decides to leave your organization?... Make sure you have more than one person in an administrator role. The original “admin” can invite others to share the role, as long as those others are also Facebook members."

Hope this helps you out - good luck! :)

Sunday, 08 February 2009 at 8:23 AM

p.s. There's a wealth of info and firsthand experience in the extensive comment threads on our other blog posts about Facebook, too - you can see a list of those posts here: https://www.wildapricot.com/blogs/newsblog/archive/tags/Facebook/default.aspx

• CJ said:

Monday, 09 February 2009 at 5:49 AM

Thanks for your quick response. AFTER I posted here, I found and read the entire page at http://www.facebook.com/help.php?topic=pages and have one remaining question - at least for now :)

Near the bottom of the page, under Business Accounts, there is some text about multiple accounts being a violation.  My understanding is that you have to set up a personal *profile* and use that to set up an organization *page* - is this correct?

FB: "Maintaining multiple accounts, regardless of the purpose, is a violation of Facebook’s Terms of Use. If you already have a personal account, then we cannot allow you to create business accounts for any reason. You can manage all the Pages and Socials Ads that you create on your personal account."

Is a Business Account a different animal from a *personal profile* or a *page*?

I'm trying to use the proper terms :)

Monday, 09 February 2009 at 6:20 AM

That's right, CJ - a Business Account is an entirely different animal. Business Account is so businesses can purchase Social Ads & set up a Facebook Page without a personal account/profile:  advertising vs. social networking.

Facebook says: Business accounts are designed for individuals who only want to use the site to administer Pages and their ad campaigns. For this reason, business accounts do not have the same functionality as personal accounts. Business accounts have limited access to information on the site. An individual with a business account can view all the Pages and Social Ads that they have created, however they will not be able to view the profiles of users on the site or other content on the site that does not live on the Pages they administer. In addition, business accounts cannot be found in search and cannot send or receive friend requests.

As you can see, Business Accounts have a few quite significant limitations.

• CJ said:

Tuesday, 10 February 2009 at 4:16 AM

Thank you for you patience. Please bear with me... I am perceiving a contradiction and need clarification.

FB: "Maintaining multiple accounts, regardless of the purpose, is a violation of Facebook’s Terms of Use. If you already have a personal account, then we cannot allow you to create BUSINESS ACCOUNTS for any reason. You can manage all the Pages and Socials Ads that you create on your personal account."

Seems to say you CANNOT have a personal profile AND a business account.

FB: "It’s important to understand the difference between your personal account and your Facebook Page. Your personal account is the regular user account that you log into when you sign in to Facebook, and this is the account you use to manage your Facebook Page. Your personal account profile is separate from your Facebook Page. When you edit your personal account profile or add content to it, these changes will not be reflected on your Facebook Page. Likewise, when you edit your Facebook Page, these changes will not be reflected in your personal account or your personal account profile."

This seems to say you use your personal account profile to manage your page.

When I tried to create a page, it directed me to set up a personal profile first.

Is a *business account* different from a *page*?

I don't want to go into a meeting with partial info. Thanks!

Tuesday, 10 February 2009 at 4:31 AM

No problem, CJ. Facebook can be hard to wrap your head around without a flow chart! Let's give this a shot:

In order to have a Page on Facebook, you need to set up either a business account or a personal account to manage the Page.

The two kinds of account are very far from being equal: fundamentally, business accounts let you create a Page and buy advertising on Facebook. In contrast, personal accounts give you a personal profile and full access to all the functions of Facebook, including Pages. (People often refer to a personal profile as a Facebook "page," which adds to the confusion -- that's why I tend to capitalize Page, to make that distinction.)

Doees that help at all?

• CJ said:

Wednesday, 11 February 2009 at 2:41 AM

Thanks - so it would seem that the personal account is the way to go, more options. Thanks for this valuable resource.

Wednesday, 11 February 2009 at 5:33 AM

Glad to help, CJ - keep us posted on how you make out?

• Eric P said:

Wednesday, 08 April 2009 at 11:43 AM

Hi Rebecca,

I use this page as a resource for setting up our own FB page.  I have put up a work profile and I am the Admin for our Non-profit page.  That all worked out great.  I then went ahead and created a cause for our organization to get that going as well.  My question is  - how do I get my Cause page to show up on my non-profit's page.  The cause is featured on my profile, but not on my non-profit's page.

Keep up the good work and advice.

Thanks!

• Wendy said:

Wednesday, 06 May 2009 at 11:36 AM

Hi Rebecca,

I set up a Non-profit page called Prestoncrest FriendSpeak. But I can't find it through Google. Is there anything that may be wrong? Thanks!

Wednesday, 06 May 2009 at 1:57 PM

Hi Wendy,

Getting a Facebook Page indexed by Google is very much like getting any other web page into the search engines, so I'd look first at whether the search engines can actually see your page, and whether they know where to look for it:

1. Are your privacy settings allowing the search engines to see and index your Facebook Page?

Go to your Page and click Edit, then Settings - you'll see you have a choice of public/private, as well as age restrictions you can put on who can see it.

Log out of your Facebook acount, clear your browser cache, and then check that the Page is still visible. Maybe get a friend to look for it on a different computer, too, just to make double-sure that you're not viewing a cached copy of the page.

2. It can take time to get indexed.

So many web pages to for the search engine 'spiders' to crawl, nothing happens instantly - well, there are a few exceptions, regarding blogs and RSS feeds, but that's a topic for another time. If you created your page very recently, that may be why it's not listed yet.

You can help speed that along by getting links from other sites to your Facebook Page -- "link building" is an effective way to encourage traffic to any website, FB Pages included!

If you don't have a website or a friend with a website to link to your Page, you can submit it to a social bookmarking site, put the link in your profile bio on other social media sites, and include it in a signature link on any forums you belong to.

And you could also leave another comment for me right here, including the URL of your FB Page ;-) -- I'd love to see what you've built, and how you're using Facebook for FriendSpeak!

• Laura M said:

Wednesday, 22 July 2009 at 6:52 AM

Hi Rebecca,

I really hope you can help. I am in the process of setting up a Facebook page for the charity that I work for. Having looked at other charity pages I have seen that they have different tabs to the standard tabs provided by Facebook such as "Volunteering" and I cannot work out how to do this for my page. Please can you help?

Also in the boxes tab some charities (e.g. the children's society) have boxes with bespoke titles- how have they done this?

I would appreciate any help and advice that you could give me!!

Kind regards,

Laura

Wednesday, 22 July 2009 at 8:29 AM

Hi Laura, it's time to dive into FBML :)

By default, a Facebook Page has a Wall Tab, an Info Tab, and also a Boxes Tab if your Page uses applications. You can add more Tabs with the plus-sign (select from the drop-down menu that shows you what's available to you, given your current set up). Some of the third-party applications are available as full Tab items, although not all of them yet.

If you want to have content in a full tab, but the application you're using doesn't support that yet, the Static FBML application is your solution.

Static FBML is Facebook's version of HTML (hypertext markup language, as used for static webpages), and it's not as hard to learn to use as it might at first appear. You can add up to 10 FMBL modules to the Boxes and Wall tabs of your Page - there's a maximum of 4 FBML modules allowed on the Wall tab, note - and that's most likely how other Pages you're looking at are making their custom titles. And of course, as mentioned, you can also use the FBML application as a full tab. To add more than one FBML tab, look for the "Add another FBML box" link at the bottom of the "Edit" page of your existing FBML tab.

Here's the link to the FBML application: http://www.new.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=4949752878 - to add FBML to your Page, go to the application's own Wall tab and click "Add to my Page" in the lefthand sidebar. And here's a link I've found useful for figuring out how to add the right code: http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/FBML

Hope this helps, Laura - let us know how you make out!

• Niko said:

Friday, 14 August 2009 at 10:29 AM

In response to your post about adding youtube videos to our organization page, whenever I try to add videos, its shows my profile (i am the admin user) not the organization's profile. This is how I did it. I went to the organization page, I clicked "edit page," I scrolled to youtubebox, clicked edit, and the screen you spoke of came up, however it was the admin profile not the organization profile. I've tried it a few times with no luck. What else can I do?

• Autumn said:

Wednesday, 19 August 2009 at 3:51 AM

We recently set our fan page username to theseahawk. After we set the username, we began to get a "page not found" message when we typed in the url or clicked on the page from the search function. How can we resolve this?

Wednesday, 19 August 2009 at 5:01 AM

Autumn, that's a weird one! I was able to find your Page in Facebook Search, and successfully become a fan by clicking the "Become a Fan" link on the search results page, but was unable to click through to actually view it - like you, getting "page not found" message.

I think your best bet is to report the problem to Facebook, here -  http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=pages_unavailable

Just the fact that they've got a special form for reporting unavailable Pages would seem to suggest you're not alone...

Wednesday, 19 August 2009 at 8:51 AM

Niko, I just checked the YouTube Box application again and it worked fine for my non-profit test page. I can't tell from your question why it might not be working for you, so it could have been a temporary glitch at Facebook. Want to give it another try? Here's how it works:

When viewing your Page and logged into Facebook, click on "edit page" then scroll down to the applications list and click on YouTube Box title. That takes you to the page for that application, where there's an "Add to my Page" link in the left sidebar.

If you are admin of more than one Page, you will be given the chance to pick which page to install the YouTube Box application on.

And another option for showing YouTube videos on your Facebook Page is to add YouTube as a tab. To add a new tab, just click on the plus sign at the right-hand end of the existing tabs on your Page, and select the item you want from the drop-down menu.

Hope this helps!

• Autumn said:

Friday, 21 August 2009 at 3:50 PM

Thanks Rebecca! It's fixed!

Search: WildApricot.com

About results ( seconds) Sort by:
Sorry, an error occured when performing search.