We’ll be providing the results from our Membership Renewal Survey and offering a new "How to" Guide to Membership Renewal later this month. But in the meantime, here’s a look at the 2012 Membership Marketing Benchmarking Report from Marketing General Incorporated (MGI).
The report, which looked at the membership marketing initiatives of 680 membership and trade associations, suggests that:
- 52% of the associations surveyed have seen an increase in their overall membership this year - with an average increase of about 3%
- 60% report an increase in new member acquisition
Here’s an overview of the “biggest impediments to growth” noted in the report:
Reasons Members Join:
The report also sheds some light on “Reasons Members Join Association,” noting:
- ...the primary reason association executives give as to why members join associations continues to be networking (22%), access to specialized/current information (12%) and advocacy (12%)
- What is surprising, is the continued downward trend since 2009, shown by networking and access to specialized/current information. This contrasts with the upward trend reported for advocacy and continuing education.
Data on Member Engagement:
Since “member engagement has long been recognized as a key factor for increasing renewals,” the report offers insight into the communications methods for onboarding new members. Here are the top 6 methods noted in the report:
- Email welcome (72%)
- Mailed welcome kit (64%)
- Membership card or certificate (51%)
- Volunteer or staff welcome phone call (29%)
- In-person new-member reception or orientation (25%)
- New member introductory email series (25%
Download the 2012 Membership Marketing Benchmarking Report
If you’d like information on member engagement in activities; how much associations are spending on renewal efforts; specifics on changes in membership; and much more, you can request a copy of the 2012 Membership Marketing Benchmarking Report - here.
Stay tuned for our Membership Renewal Report & Guide
Stay tuned to this blog for the results of our Membership Renewal Survey later this month - when we’ll offer insight into:
We’re also developing a Membership Renewal Guide that will be available in our Membership Knowledge Hub later this month - offering tips and advice about renewal for small associations and other membership organizations.
- Communications methods used to remind members about renewals;
- Renewal methods - automated, etc.;
- Renewal cycles;
- Grace periods;
- Incentives or special offers
- and more