National Volunteer Week (NVW) is coming up! This year, it will be celebrated during the week of
April 15-21 in both Canada and the U.S.
Volunteers logged billions of hours last year!
According to Imagine Canada, “12.5 million Canadians (46% of the population aged 15 and over), volunteered for charitable and nonprofit organizations last year. Collectively, these volunteers contributed just over 2.1 billion volunteer hours, equivalent to almost 1.1 million full-time jobs.”
And as the wonderful infographic from Volunteering in America demonstrates so powerfully, in 2011 there were 8.1 Billion Volunteer Hours Served across America - which translates to $173 billion!
How many of those billions of hours were devoted to efforts at your organization? If you are looking for ideas for celebrating and recognizing your volunteers during National Volunteer Week, here are some resources you might want to check out:
Volunteer Canada has once again created a National Volunteer Week website that includes:
- Best practices for volunteer recognition
- A section on Thanking Volunteers
- Pre-recorded video seminars - on topics such as media relations; social media; event planning
- A media site with downloadable media materials (backgrounders, Fact Sheets, etc.)
Full Campaign Kit:
In addition, this website also includes a “Campaign Kit” offers a wide range of free downloadable tools for National Volunteer Week, including:
- NEW! 60-second public service announcement for National Volunteer Week.
- NVW DIGITAL THANK-YOU CARD Design your own customized electronic thank-you card. E-mail the cards to all your volunteers to say thanks for the many valuable contributions they make all year round.
- and much more
In the US:
HandsOn Network and the Points of Light Institute are offering a National Volunteer Week resource guide that includes tips and ideas on celebrating and recognizing volunteers, as well as an adaptable online toolkit that includes marketing resources and National Volunteer Week branded tools including:
- National Volunteer Week Logo
- Media Advisory, press release template etc.
- Social Media Outreach Tips
- and much more
You can also recognize volunteers’ efforts through the Points of Light Tribute Wall.
How will you celebrate National Volunteer Week?
Remember, volunteers are the life-blood of many non-profits and membership organizations and a Thank-you can be Powerful.
Stay tuned to the Wild Apricot blog for more volunteer week ideas and coverage.